What is the 80 20 Rule?

Written by on May 2, 2024

Life coaching is an excellent way to get the results in life you want and take your career to new heights. Much of what you could learn from these professionals goes back to the 80-20 rule. Unfamiliar with this golden rule? This article will explain everything you need to know.

Get to Know The Pareto Rule

The 80-20 rule is commonly called the Pareto principle. That’s because it was developed by an Italian economist named Vilfredo Pareto. In 1897, Pareto discovered that 20% of the population owned 80% of the land in the Kingdom of Italy. Since then, the Pareto Principle has been utilized in various forms of coaching and life.

Focusing Your Efforts

The secret of this rule lies in the fact that 20% of your efforts will produce 80% of your outcomes. Life coaches use this methodology to help you learn to focus on critical aspects of your goal. For example, the first 20% of your effort into a particular research project starts off with fundamental learning and absorbing essential information about your topic, which will allow you to deliver 80% of the positive results you achieve. This helps you focus on your initial efforts more instead of spreading yourself too thin.

Growing Your Confidence

Aside from this rule, you’ll discover various necessary things through coaching, like how to build self-confidence. According to Trafft, a widely-used small business communication software, 80% of participants said self-confidence was the primary benefit of life coaching.

Maximizing Efficiency

Time management is a crucial skill to achieve success. As you focus on specific activities and understand the importance of time management, you’ll find yourself crushing one goal after another. Knowing where to focus your time and the order of operations you need to follow in tackling a big goal will go a long way.

Understanding What the Rule Is Meant For

Now that you understand the importance of focusing on tasks that help you accomplish goals, it’s important to clear up a common misunderstanding with this rule. Giving 20% of your project or business objective major priority does not mean the remaining 80% can be ignored. The purpose of this rule is to help leaders and business owners properly manage their assets, organize their goals, and focus their efforts where they’re most required.

Coaching helps you learn various skills, such as goal planning, to ensure you reach the long and short-term milestones you set for yourself. Our professional life coaches can help you learn the skills you need today to become who you want to be tomorrow. Contact JB Coaches today to get started with our supportive team of experts!